The City of Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT) deployed the first phase of an Electronic Parking Guidance System (EPGS). The completed system provides real-time off-street parking space availability and direction from main access roads through dynamic LED Electronic Parking Guidance Signs (EPGS) and fixed message signs that:
- The system provides information on available short-term customer parking in off-street facilities to shoppers, tourists and visitors.
- Reduce traffic congestion and vehicle pollution.
- Shift off-street supply from serving long-term commuters to serving short-term customers and visitors to maintain a thriving Center City Seattle
- Contribute to a positive perception of Seattle’s Center City through enhance parking information
- The system provides real time inventory, and web-based communication of available parking in key central city parking garages
- The EPGS signs include five (5) dynamic street signs, seven (7) dynamic garage signs, and twenty-one (21) static signs
Shen Consulting is the Project Manager/Construction Manager to design and coordinate with its partner IT software/hardware specialty firm for development and installation of an electronic parking way-finding system in downtown Seattle. The project involved coordination of a team of civil, structural, sign fabrication, and city departments to design and install numerous large dynamic messaging signs within right of way and commercial parking garages in downtown Seattle. Shen Consulting also is providing construction support to handle site/stakeholder coordination activities that were critical to meet a very tight construction schedule. This consisted of coordinating with SDOT Project Management, general contractor, subcontractors, and facility owners.
Currently Phase I was finished on schedule and under budget. Shen Consulting Inc. will actively be involved on the second phase of the program in 2012.